Lower School / Middle School Chaplain and Religion teacher
St. Martin’s Episcopal School in Metairie is looking for a Lower School / Middle School Chaplain for the 2019-2020 academic school year. Founded in 1947, St. Martin’s is a coeducational, independent school that provides students with a college preparatory education focused on the development of the whole person. Students and faculty embrace the school’s motto, “We prepare students to thrive in college and in life through Faith, Scholarship and Service.” We instill moral and ethical values, leading students not only to prepare for college, but also to live meaningful and purposeful lives. We believe that true, deep learning is a result of the appropriate balance of student autonomy and healthy relationships.
The Chaplain’s duties are diverse and include leading weekly worship, teaching religion classes, offering pastoral care, and fulfilling administrative responsibilities if needed. The Chaplain embodies the school’s core values and Episcopal identity, and works alongside the school’s leadership to ensure the implementation of the school’s mission. The Chaplain reports directly to the Head of School.
- Prepare and preside over weekly Chapel for Grades K-8, and special/All-School Chapels throughout the year
- Model and encourage regular prayer
- Oversee a religion curriculum that reflects the mission, core values, and Episcopal identity of the school, and that increases the religious literacy of our students
- Teach religion classes to selected grades in the Elementary and Middle School Divisions
- Assist teachers with developing classroom lessons that correspond with the school’s mission, core values, and Episcopal identity
- Provide pastoral counseling services to students, families, faculty, and staff as needed
- Coordinate support systems for community members in times of need
If you are interested in applying for this position please email a letter of interest and resume to Angela Day at HR@stmsaints.com.
St. Martin’s is actively working to create a diverse work community. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. St. Martin’s School is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
St. Martin’s does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, gender or gender identity, age, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.